Monday, January 19, 2009

Mr. Sullivan’s power point presentation demonstrates what it means for the web to be accessible for everyone regardless of a disability or handicap. In 1973 this became the law with the passing of The Rehabilitation Act. There is so much available in software and hardware. Teachers need to be aware of what is available be able to best meet the needs of the students. Not only is this important for students who have a particular disability such as a hearing or vision impairment, but also for other students to see that even with a disability, goals can be accomplished. These can serve as greater life lessons.

During my third year of teaching, I had a deaf student in my classroom. This student did not use sign language but had learned to read lips. I had to make sure he could always see my lips moving which meant remembering to not turn my back to him. During that time, there was not much technology in the classroom. Today with so much technology being used it in education, I think it has become easier to meet the needs of these students in mainstream classrooms. I would have loved for my student Andy to have had access to a laptop where I could have interacted with him more.

1 comment:

Mr. C's fifth grade class

Mr. C's fifth grade class